NEWS: ASI carries out restoration of Mughal-era parts of Red Fort.
SOURCE: The Hindu.
The Red Fort Complex was built as the palace fort of Shahjahanabad – the new capital of the fifth Mughal Emperor of India, Shah Jahan. Named for its massive enclosing walls of red sandstone, it is adjacent to an older fort, the Salimgarh, built by Islam Shah Suri in 1546, with which it forms the Red Fort Complex. The private apartments consist of a row of pavilions connected by a continuous water channel, known as the Nahr-i-Behisht (Stream of Paradise).
The Red Fort is considered to represent the zenith of Mughal creativity which, under the Shah Jahan, was brought to a new level of refinement. The planning of the palace is based on Islamic prototypes, but each pavilion reveals architectural elements typical of Mughal building, reflecting a fusion of Persian, Timurid and Hindu traditions.
The Red Fort’s innovative planning and architectural style, including the garden design, strongly influenced later buildings and gardens in Rajasthan, Delhi, Agra and further afield.
Constructed in 1648 by the 5th Mogul Emperor, it has served an important role in Indian history for almost 400 years.
The structure was originally commissioned when the Mogul Emperor moved the imperial capital from Agra to Delhi. It was used by Mogul kings until 1858 when the British removed them during the Indian Revolt.
The Red Fort Complex is one of the cultural UNESCO World Heritage Sites in India. This military fortification site was inscribed into the UNESCO list in 2007. This cultural UNESCO site is of cultural significance to India because it is symbolic of how the Mughal architecture flourished. At the same time, the complex is the best example of how the Islamic, Persian, Hindu, and Timurid traditions are combined as one.
It was the 5th Mughal Emperor, Shah Jahan, who commissioned for this complex to be built in 1639. It served as his palace during his reign. The name of the fort was derived from the massive walls made of red sandstone. The imperial residence consisted of numerous rows of pavilions that are connected to each other via a water channel. The fort complex was believed to be the center of Mughal creativity during the rule of Shah Jahan. The entire palace followed the Islamic prototype in terms of architecture; however, each of the pavilions had unique architectural elements that represent a fusion with other traditions such as Persian and Timurid.